Sunday, 4 October 2009

I may regret this...

I am slightly concerned about the dye bleeding from some of my recent yarns in the many rinses they have before they go in the shop.
I have just tied lots of skeins in many places to secure them in one long sausage shape each, placed them in pillow cases with similar colurs and placed them in the washing machine.
I know I say in the shop to handwash the yarn but that obviously doesn't apply to me.
I now have 4 pillowcases, knotted at the top floating around on a 15 minute, 30 degree, 500 spin wash and probably merrily felting all the yarn. At least then they shouldn't bleed
I do put so much work into all this, if I'm not happy they will not be listed. All the new skeins dyed from now on will also be dyed with a small sample skein so that I can knit a 30st x 30row sample to show how the colours look.

I did a beautiful skein last week, bright blue with white dots. I happily waited for it to dry, knitted a 30st x 30 row sample and reskeined. Right at the end of reskeining I found a broken ply. Argh!!! This was one of my favourite skeins and at least now it will have a good home.....here with me.

E.T.A...(20 minutes later), in the shop I suggest you handwash any of my yarns....please do. This was an interesting experiment of which I am still trying to see the funny side and any possibilities there may be.
A few things happened....the BFL skeins now look felted, they may not once dry but at the moment oh yes. A few possibilites here, they may not be felted just fluffy,( it's happened before )They may reappear as crocheted scarves or woven scarves. I still want to use it. The Merino looks ok the only strange thing there is that some of the colours have changed. The beautiful skein mentioned above was a turquoise / petrol colour and now it's a light sea blue, still nice though.
At least the bleeding has stopped....LOL.

1 comment:

Pixie said...

Oh no on your lovely yarns, I read a tip of rinsing in white vinegar if bleeding happens.. got that from Ravelry.. do a search

Have mailed you about the scarf.. let me know if you want any further help and thank you for your lovely comment on my blog :)