Wednesday, 19 January 2011

Undecided.

These mittens, Heathers mittens by Spillyjaneknits are my first try at colourwork.
Can you see the needles? They are 2mm symphonie needles.
Can you see my problem? They are the same colour as the yarn.

I was looking earlier in the week to buy some 2mm bamboo needles and then decided to persevere with these as 2mm isn't a size I often use.

2.5mm, no problem. They would have been straight in my basket. I could always stick a pair of socks on them.

The next free pattern about to be released by Spillyjaneknits is on 2.25mm. I really want to do those.

I have got up to row 62 on these now and I have really enjoyed learning something new, even though I was told they aren't an ideal beginner project I haven't had too many problems.......until now.

Its probably me, as its my first colourwork but these will be tight. Not unwearable tight but too tight for me to be comfortable in.
I'm also not convinced I have picked up all the necessary stitches for the thumb either.

I am very tempted to try to rip these out. How easy that is with colourwork I have no idea.

I'm hoping that 2.5mm might give me a better fit.
The next pair I might up to 2.5mm too. I would rather they be abit loose than too tight.


Er, yes, before anybody asks.........no I didn't swatch.

I hardly ever swatch. If they don't fit me, they will fit somebody.
As they are these mittens would fit my friend but i'm not inclined to keep knitting for weeks for her at the moment.

1 comment:

Catherine said...

I posted mittens this week too! But not in clever rounds like this. They will make a beautiful present for someone. I think it is so hard not to pull up colour work a little tight. I have used a 2mm bamboo circular needle but tI think they are too thin to be strong enough and I broke mine!

C x