Its snowing. We haven't had any for a few days and I think we might have got abit complacent that it had stopped.
I must admit that sat here with no where to go today I am loving watching it fall outside my kitchen window.
Everything looks so clean and bright with snow and its so quiet.
I should have gone out today. Its Friday, the day I usually meet my oldest friend for breakfast in a lovely cafe in town.
Boy8 and I set off for school as usual this morning. This was before the snow started.
It seemed very quiet, there were alot less cars parked up outside school than usual.
There was the headmaster stood outside school, not a good sign.
Then he informed us that school is shut today, the heating has gone off. The heating has been on all over Christmas and decided to go off this morning.
We walked back home.
Obviously its not so much of a problem for me, I am a stay at home Mum and days like this is what makes it worthwhile.
I do have times that I feel I don't pull my weight financially towards the house and I feel quite low.
Luckily Hubs has always supported the choice to be at home for the children. He prefers me to be at home and on hand if the children need me.
Snow days, teacher training days and sick days do mount up when there are 3 children at different schools.
Since the beginning of December this is only the fourth time school has been shut. 3 times for snow and today for heating. Thats 4 days I would have had to have off work at the last minute if I was working.
I realise I am lucky to be in a position where I have the choice to stay at home, I love it and ideally I would never go back into a workplace again. Obviously if circumstances changed I would but while I have the choice I love being at home.
What makes me laugh on days like today when school has had to shut at the last minute is some parents attitude to it.
Heating is quite an important part of the school. The classes are large and I should imagine it gets cold very quickly. I wouldn't want my child in a cold classroom all day. legally school has to be at a certain temperature for children to be in.
Facebook is full now of parents complaining how ridiculous it is that school is closed.
Now working parents I can understand might feel abit annoyed that they may have to juggle their day around a little, its inconvenient. Now stay at home Mums I can't understand as much, especially the ones that are at home with younger children anyway.
It amazes me how parents consider school to be free childcare, which to some extent it is but things happen out of schools control that can't be helped and then the responsibility of the children once again falls on the parents. School is not childcare!
No comments:
Post a Comment